ASOA was organized to promote a consistently high quality of patient care through instruction, certification and continuing medical education, and to support orthopaedics and orthopaedic physician's assistants and orthopaedic assistants locally, regionally and nationally through advocacy, job placement services and community events.
ASOA members receive a number of valuable benefits, including:
- Receipt of the ASOA newsletter, The Update, which provides members valuable information on the state of the association and profession as well as features useful technique tips and articles. Members receive a print and electronic subscription (quarterly).
- Access to valuable electronic updates on the latest-breaking information that impacts your role and responsibilities as an Orthopaedic Physician's Assistant/Orthopaedic Assistant.
- Access to special member-only portions of ASOA website - www.asoa-ortho.org, including on-line CME, available employment opportunities, a job listing service, a national membership directory, and an online forum.
- $100 discount to attend the ASOA Annual Meeting. You will earn valuable continuing medical education (CME) units toward recertification!
- Discounts to take the examination leading to OPA-C/OA-C certification ($75) and logging CMEs with the NBCOPA/NBCOA for re-certification (a savings of $360 per recertification cycle). Click here to learn more about certification and the exam.
CATEGORIES & REQUIREMENTS
The ASOA has three classifications for membership — Fellow, Affiliate and Student. Fellow members are given voting privileges at the annual ASOA meeting and the ability to hold office on the Executive Board.
To qualify for Fellow membership, candidates must have passed the certifying exam given by the National Board for Certification of Orthopaedic Physician's Assistants (NBCOPA)/National Board for Certification of Orthopaedic Assistants (NBCOA).
Noncertified applicants are encouraged to join as Affiliate members. They receive the same benefits as Fellow members with the exception of voting privileges at ASOA meetings and the ability to hold office on the Executive Board.
Students are also encouraged to join as a Student member. Student members recieve the same benefits as an Affiliate member, although are not allowed voting privileges at the ASOA meetings, nor the ability to hold office on the Executive Board.
While ASOA Fellow membership is geared directly toward OPA-C/OA-Cs, the society invites professionals from other allied health industries to get involved for educational and networking benefits. The newsletter subscription, membership directory, legislative voice and discounted meeting registration fees are beneficial to all members.
The annual dues for either Fellow or Affiliate membership are $200 per year. The annual dues for Student membership is $75 per year. All candidates for membership may apply on-line by clicking on "join ASOA now" above OR a printed application may be requested by contacting ASOA at (800) 280-2390 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.